Yesterday was another super productive day spent working outside. My spring project list is growing shorter, but there’s still much to do.
As you can see in the photo to the right, I purchased and planted the new palm tree, which replaced the dying Queen palm that I had to remove.
After a lot of consideration, I decided to go with a Foxtail palm tree. This beautiful palm is an exotic that comes from Australia. It’s a fast grower, and will eventually reach a height of 30+ feet and produce showy dark red fruit (non-edible). I also love the look of the smooth trunk.
The Foxtail palm (26 gallon) was heavy! It was quite a workout getting it out of the truck, in to position and planted.
I’m doing a complete redesign of the area around the new palm, and I have a pretty good idea of what I’m going to do. I’m going to leave the agapanthus where they are (in fact, I’m going to add a few more), as they are absolutely beautiful spring bloomers. I’m going to add several more Texas Star (Jack Frost) Ligustrum against the right side of the house, continuing the backdrop, then add a field of different colored Pentas. The Pentas will provide color all summer long, are wonderful butterfly attractors, and are tall enough to be seen over the agapanthus foliage. They will also look great against the yellow Texas Star Ligustrum. I’ve also got a camellia that I’ll be putting in front of the clay rain pot, and there are Duc de Rhone azaleas in front of the two brick columns on either side of the walkway.
After planting the palm, I went out back and tackled another big project: I fertilized and watered in all the backyard plants, flowers, trees, fruit trees and palms. I’m so glad to have that out of the way, as it’s one of the projects I enjoy least.
Once the fertilization was done, I still had some time so I did all of the pond maintenance. Last night after it got dark I went out and adjusted the waterfall LED lighting and checked all of the solar pathway lighting and the lighting around the edge of the pond. A few of the solar rechargeable batteries were dead and will be replaced tomorrow.
Finally, I planted a Calibrachoa in a hanging planter that we have on the patio. 🙂
No outdoor work today, lots of work to catch up on after two days off!
Here’s the updated project list.
These items have been completed: 🙂
- Pressure wash the paver driveway and walkway
- Pressure wash the sidewalks and street-side gutters and back patio
- Pressure wash the backyard fence (front facing)
- Pressure wash the house and the rain gutters
- Pressure wash the backyard fence (back facing)
- Pressure wash back patio
- Thoroughly clean grill
- Pressure wash and clean all patio furniture
- Fertilize all plants, trees, fruit trees, palms and flowers (front yard)
- Check function of automatic irrigation system for peppers, herbs and tomatoes
- Weed all flower beds (front yard)
- Trim all plants, trees, fruit trees and palms (front yard)
- Clean and adjust all outdoor security cameras
- Fertilize all plants, trees, fruit trees, palms and flowers (back yard/pond)
- General pond maintenance (replace/clean filters, check auto-fill/timer function, adjust rocks, adjust pond and path lighting etc.)
Remaining to do:
- Trim all plants, trees, fruit trees and palms (back yard/pond)
- Clean all exterior windows/screens
- Weed all flower beds (back yard/pond)
- Caulk and touch up paint exterior of the home
- Clean all outdoor lighting fixtures, check motion sensors, replace bulbs as needed
- Check entire sprinkler system for coverage and leaks, adjust/repair as required (10 zones)
- Spread approximately 10 yards of mulch
- Select and plant this year’s crop of peppers, herbs and tomatoes
- Plant hundreds of annuals and assorted other plants
- Re-design and add plants to flower bed to right of walkway (where the Queen palm was removed)
- Clean and organize entire garage/bike shop
- Wash automobiles and do full Zaino treatment