Home Gym – Stage IVa
Since 2003 my home gym has evolved right along with my progress and goals. Back in 2003 when I first changed my lifestyle, my gym equipment consisted of a cheap department store weight set, a few dumbbells and a stair climber shoved into a barely-used junk room in my old house (here’s a picture).
Because I prefer to train at home, when I had my current home built in 2007 I decided to construct a dedicated home gym. I designed my home gym from the ground up, and the builder worked with me to accommodate all my requests for the room’s construction. I’ve never regretted that choice: it’s a rare day when my gym is not used in some capacity.
Of course my fitness goals have changed a lot over the past 10+ years. In late 2009 I fell in love with mountain biking and, a few years later, road cycling. Those two passions sparked what would become a major change in my fitness world. While weight lifting still plays an important part in my training, after taking up cycling my goals moved away from bodybuilding and more towards athletic performance.
Cardiovascular performance, in particular, has taken a central role in my training.
I decided that my indoor cardio training would be far more effective if I were to give that section of my home gym a complete overhaul. This involved getting rid of my trusty Schwinn recumbent cardio bike and setting up a cardio station centered around the Trek Madone and a fluid trainer.
This idea was the genesis of my Bike Torture Chamber, which I completed last night.
As a network administrator and technology enthusiast, it seemed only natural to use those strengths to my advantage. As I said yesterday, my Bike Torture Chamber may be high tech and polished in appearance, but don’t let that fool you: the suffering in there is downright medieval.
During the past five year the walls of my home gym have witnessed pain and suffering that would make the Marquis De Sade wince. Things are about to get a whole lot worse. Welcome to my pain cave…
Click to zoom. Detailed parts list (with links) follows pictures.
Here is a complete list of items found in the cardio section of my gym:
BIKE & FLUID TRAINER
- 2013 Trek Madone 5.9
- Stages Power Meter
- Shimano Ultegra PD-6800 SPD-SL Pedals
- Kurt Kinetic Road Machine
- Kurt Kinetic Fixed Riser Ring
- Tacx Trainer Tire
- Aeromax Road Bike Comp 700c Wheels (Trainer use only)
- Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow Saddle
- Fizik Performance Bar Tape
- Sidi Genius 5 Pro Carbon Road Cycling Shoes (2013)
- Shimano SPD-SL Self-Aligning Cleats
- Camelbak Podium Big Chill 25-Ounce Water Bottles
- CycleOps Bike Thong Bicycle Sweat Protector
ELECTRONICS (HARDWARE & SOFTWARE)
- Garmin Edge 810
- Garmin ANT+ USB Stick
- Toshiba REGZA 32″ 1080p LCD HDTV
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Smartphone
- SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip MP3 Player
- Panasonic RP-HJE355-R High Fidelity Ergo-Fit Earbuds (Red)
- Toshiba Satellite Laptop
- Lasko 18″ Remote Control Cyclone Pedestal Fan
- TrainerRoad software (here’s my full review)